Monday, April 18, 2011

Adventures in Cake Making!


So instead of trying to make a simple cake I decided to make a yogurt pound cake and yogurt cream cheese frosting. I had a lot of yogurt in the fridge and it sounded good.

First I preheated the oven to 325 deg and then greased and floured the bundt pan. You have to remember the flour part. I always forget to flour the stupid pan. Flouring after greasing is very important. I have learned this after royally messing up some otherwise good stuff by having it stick to the pan and coming out in chunks.


Then I sifted together 2 1/4 cups flour, 1/2 tsp baking soda, and 1/2 tsp salt.




I run it through the sifter about 3 times.
All nice and finely sifted.




In another bowl, I creamed together 1 cup butter and 2 cups dextrose.



Then we beat in 3 eggs, one at a time. Then add 1 tsp vanilla extract. I found some vanilla that uses glucose instead of corn syrup.


Then we need to add the flour mix and the yogurt. I used 8 oz of unflavored plain whole milk organic yogurt. you want to alternately add the flour and the yogurt until just incorporated.

I forgot to take pics of it poured into the bundt pant. It was really thick and didn't pour. I had to scoop it and smash it in there. It said to bake for 60 min. So in the meantime I got busy with the frosting. I used 14 oz organic whole milk Greek yogurt, 4 ounces cream cheese, and 4 oz butter.



Beat until creamy. Then we will add about 4 cups dextrose for now.

Taste it. It won't be as sweet as other frostings because dextrose is less sweet. Table sugar is half glucose and half fructose. Dextrose is all glucose. Fructose is sweeter than glucose and that part has been removed. I do not suggest adding more until it is candy sweet. Get used to less sweet stuff. Too much dextrose will raise your blood sugar just as well as regular sugar, but taste half as sweet while doing it. Have you ever eaten too many smarties? or too many Sweet Tarts? Those are dextrose candies with artificial flavor.

Looks like the cake is done. I flipped it over to take a picture of the top. I forgot to do that before I took it out of the pan. It came out very nice and very easy.... because I remembered to flour the pan. :)




I separated the frosting into 2 bowls. One we colored green. The other we added more dextrose to until it was more like icing and the added some Fun Dip, the strawberry flavored. It isn't very artful, but my daughter loved it. I have no talent for cake decorating. We did put it in the fridge to help the frosting set. It is made out of yogurt and was runny at first. But it got stiffer in the fridge and stayed that way without needing to be re-refrigerated.


It was very popular. The kids loved it!


The leftovers didn't last long. They all wanted it for breakfast. Laura ate the head. I couldn't keep my hands off it either. Yummy!

Things I would have done differently.....
Well, first off, I would not refrigerate a pound cake. Especially before it is fully cooled. I will definitely make it again, but I will use an icing instead. Melted butter mixed with dextrose and drizzled on.

The frosting was awesome. I am so glad I made an insane amount and saved all of it. I will be using it on the next cake, which will be a simple regular cake. Shaped as a butterfly. The strawberry icing was the best part. I know it was artificial flavor and color, but at this point we can't use real strawberries. They have too much fructose.

No comments:

Post a Comment