Thursday, June 9, 2011

Gluten Free Mac-N-Cheese with Hot Dogs


My family loves hot dogs and macaroni-n-cheese. Our favorite was always oscar meyer hot dogs and kraft mac-n-cheese. The kids were really mad at me when they found out that all of that was not fructose friendly. They love their junk food. I don't blame them. I like it too.
They were pretty surprised to see that I had found a fructose free and safe to eat version. I found the original recipe in a book for fructose malabsorption but I modified it.I really hope they like it.

First step: preheat oven to 350 degrees.

First we start with safe ingredients. I used the pasta shown here. It is made with quinoa and something else. We like these the best of all the gluten free noodles so far.
 The hot dogs are hebrew national kosher beef hot dogs. These taste awesome! They are not overpowering like some beef hot dogs can be and they have good ingredients.
I usually use organic whole milk but I was out so I had to use my unsweetened almond milk instead.
And of course, you need some butter. I prefer the taste of organic valley butter.
 Put 3 tbsp of butter in the casserole dish, then put it in the oven until the butter is melted.

 Then stir in the whole box of noodles. You want to coat all the noodles with the butter. Then you want to salt and pepper it. You don't need too much salt though because the hot dogs have plenty.
 I cut up about 6 or 8 hot dogs and mixed them right into the noodles. (I wished I had used more. Maybe next time I will use 10.)
 I stir it right in so that they get coated with the butter too.

I covered the entire thing with 5 cups of cheddar cheese.
Then I gently poured 4 cups of almond milk over it. (this was too much and should be cut back to 3 or 3.5 cups.)
 Then you set the timer for an hour.
 I don't know if you can tell from this picture, but there is still too much liquid after an hour. (Because I used too much milk.) So I had to set it for another 10 min, which slightly overcooked some of the noodles.
After 10 more minutes it looked right. This picture is a little different because I tried to use the "food" setting on my camera. I don't think I know how to use it right. I hope this looks as good to you as it tasted to me. I ate 3 helpings. Which I shouldn't have done but it tasted soo goood to me. I like the almond milk better than the regular milk. I can eat cheese fine but not milk. The kids prefer it with regular milk but they still love it this way. It is a very tasty substitution for our previous mac-n-cheese dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment