Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Homemade sausage.

My family loves sausage!!

Unfortunately all store made sausage contains sugar. After not having sausage for awhile my family started to get kind of upset. I don't blame them. I love sausage too. In my efforts to appease the angry savages I found a recipe. You take your lb of ground pork, you add 1 tbsp savory, 1 tbsp thyme, and 1 tbsp sage. I was out of sage so I omitted it. I also added 1 tbsp dextrose. I figured all the other ones had sugar in it for a reason so why not.
I shoved it all in my standing mixer and away we went.
I love this thing. No touching the cold meat, no holding a mixer up with one hand while holding the bowl with the other. Just flip on the switch and you have sausage!

Here is my finished clump of meat. I still need to make patties out of it but I don't mind. The meat is no longer cold so it won't hurt me to touch it. I purposely leave it to sit, whether I am making sausage or meatloaf or whatever, just so I don't have to touch cold meat. lol. This tastes better if it sits in the fridge overnight. That lets the herbs flavor seep into the meat, but like I said, I hate cold meat.



Sausage tastes great with potatoes. I always puts lots of salt on. And now that I can use powdered garlic again (just not too much), I add that on there as well. I fry them in olive oil with a lid on till they are tender, then take the lid off to crisp them up. They soak up the oil so you have to use enough. Here I am using my cast iron skillet with matching lid. The lid turns it into a dutch oven. I know cast iron is heavy and it hurts to use but the benefits outweigh the danger. I do not have to worry about all those pesky chemicals from non stick pans, I don't have to worry about scratching it up, and I don't have to worry about cleaning it. That's right. All I do is scrape till all the food is gone and re oil it. No need for soap. A little water and a scrub pad. Sometimes all I need to do is wipe it with a dishrag. Stuff comes right off. I would say that all that more than makes up for it's weight. Worth it's weight and all that.

My sausage patties. They look nice.


Don't forget fried eggs. Sausage needs eggs too. These are from a local farm. The farmer lets her hens runs free all over her property. They are mighty tasty!



They also lay many different colors of eggs.
And the finished breakfast. The kids ate it all gone. Even my husband said it tasted good. It is real hard to get a compliment out of him so I this means alot.

No comments:

Post a Comment