Monday, June 13, 2011

The Re-Introductory Phase.

After having been on a strict elimination diet for 12 weeks, my family was excited to try all of their favorite foods again. We tried different veggies, fruits, and .... junk food. We needed to see how much sugar and HFCS we could digest. Every one of us can handle a different amount. And we all have different reactions to stuff we can't handle.

I have to admit, I got carried away. I missed all of those foods that were causing me pain and malnutrition. Most of all I wanted a Bavarian cream filled, chocolate frosted, bismark. Usually I would drink a premade chocolate milk with it, but I resisted the temptation. I did eat one. I ate 2 actually, but the second one was jelly filled. Within an hour I came to the conclusion that it had been a bad idea. As a matter of fact, It went about that well for everything we tried. Sometimes it was apparent in 20 min and sometimes it took an hour or two. But it all ended the same way.

My youngest 2 children get dark circles under their eyes. Just like me. The circles are a dark line that looks like eyeliner almost. It goes all the way into the inside of the eye and up the side of the nose. The more they eat, the darker it is. If it is chronic ingestion (like when we ate watermelon 3 days in a row) it gets puffy under the eye too. These 2 kids also (like me) get bloated. It causes them to have poor absorption. They can not absorb the nutrients out of a meal if it includes fructose in any way. I forget exactly how it works but the gist is that the fructose interferes with the nutrients bonding to the receptor chemical that pulls it across the intestinal wall to be utilized. So they don't even use it. The EDS means that we need to be taking in twice the amount of vitamins a normal person does, but the FMS means that we are even taking in half the vitamins a normal person does. I don't even know how that translates to fat or anything.

The 4 yr old actually has butt muscles now. And her face is rounder. She even showed me her biceps the other day. She has some now and she thinks it is hilarious to flex them at me.

My oldest child is going to be 16 years old next week. He has really enjoyed being able to eat his favorite food one more time. After each thing he tries, he says the same thing. He will not eat that again. He hasn't asked to try soda or fruit juice. I don't blame him. He gets real bad indigestion and pain, it makes his joints hurt, and he gets fatigued. He does not get bloated and he really doesn't get the circles under his eyes either.

What have we learned from this? We learned that the strict diet is the best. The stricter the better. When we do eat something that is not on our strict diet we have to be careful. We can only digest so much fructose at a time. The kids will get a much smaller helping than before. It was fun, albeit painful, to eat all that stuff one more time. The reintroduction of foods was a painful process, but it reaffirmed for us that we prefer the strict diet and how it makes us feel. We are officially off the elimination diet. We now know what we can and can not eat, and are well aware of the repercussions of eating the wrong foods.

No comments:

Post a Comment