Saturday, July 9, 2011

Dinner is served!

Normally I like to take pics of all the ingredients when I blog about it but I didn't know how good it was going to be until after it was done.



So I am just going to show you a bunch of pictures of the finished product and tell you how I did it. You will need 1 bag of frozen tater tots, 1 small can of mushrooms, 1 can of Campbell's cream of mushroom soup, 1 can of green beans, a bag of shredded cheddar cheese, and 1 1/2 lb of ground beef. Plus some salt and pepper for seasoning. I use canned green beans instead of fresh. They are easier on my stomach for some reason. I think most of the sugar is processed out by the canning. It does not matter what kind of mushrooms you use, I use canned because it is easier to hide from my kids. They can spot the fresh ones from a mile away and they hate them. The cream of mushroom soup has very little stuff in it that would cause a problem. It does have wheat in it, but it doesn't seem to be enough to cause issues for us. As always, substitute stuff if you have an issue.

 First you put the tater tots in the oven and bake as directed. I like to leave them in a little longer to make them crispier. I also put a little olive oil in the baking dish to help crisp them. I find that helps alot when I buy the cheaper brands. While that is baking I brown the burger in my cast iron skillet. This one is the largest one I have. When it is done browning I add the drained can of mushrooms and green beans. Then I add the cream of mushroom soup and half a can of water (just enough to get the rest of the soup out). Heat it up until it is well mixed. The tater tots should be done by now and cooling on the counter. Do not turn off the oven. But do turn it down to 375 at least.
 You want to cover the top of the mixture with the cheese. Make it as cheesy as you want. I just make sure it is an even layer. Then evenly spread all the tater tots on the top of that. Does it look good yet? If you were like me, you forgot to salt and pepper the ground beef while you were browning it. It will be ok. There is enough salt in the green beans. I really should remember to be adding the salt as it helps with the POTS symptoms. It is really strange to be told by a doctor to eat more salt.
You can put the cast iron skillet right in the oven. I put it in the oven for about 15 minutes. Just keep an eye on it. You don't want to burn the already crisped tater tots but you do want the cheese to melt. This is absolutely divine! My kids love it, and according to them, that doesn't happen often with my cooking.

1 comment:

  1. Try this wirg your kids:

    Green Beans with Lemon and Pine Nuts
    a/k/a Green French Fries

    2 lbs or 1 kilo or green beans
    large handful of pine nuts
    3 tablespoons finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
    1 garlic clove, minced
    2 teaspoons finely grated fresh lemon zest
    4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
    1 teaspoon Penzeys Country French Vinagrette dressing spice

    Trim green beans and julienne into 1/2-inch pieces. Cook beans in a 4-quart saucepan full of boiling water until just tender, approximately 10-12 minutes, depending on desired crunchiness. While beans are cooking, toast pine nuts in 200 degree Fahrenheit oven until golden brown and set aside. Chop parsley very fine and place in large bowl. Add minced garlic and grated lemon zest. Drain beans well in colander and place in large bowl. Pour olive oil over green beans and sprinkle pine nuts and vinagrette spice on top. Mix well and serve.

    This crowd pleaser serves about 8.

    ReplyDelete