Saturday, July 9, 2011

Homemade Lemon Lime Gatorade

I have been told that I need to get more vitamin c. For two different reasons. The first being that I can't eat fruit. So I can't get any vitamin c that way. The second is that I have Ehlers-Danlos and taking in high amounts of vitamin c has been linked to less bruising and stronger connective tissue. But I can't eat or drink too much fructose. Lemons and Limes are high in vitamin c and low in fructose. The more sour a fruit is the less fructose it has. Fructose is really sweet. Each one of us can have half a lemon or lime twice a day. So I came up with this recipe all on my own (with a little help from google lol).


 First we have a gallon jug, 2 lemons, 2 limes, and dextrose. You have to have some carbs in there if you want to use it as an electrolyte replacement.
 This is what the dextrose looks like up close. Just like regular sugar only half as sweet. It has no fructose in it (which is what table sugar is, half fructose, half glucose. This stuff is only glucose).
 They look so fresh! So juicy!
 We also need some salt. That adds the sodium part of the electrolytes. The other half is potassium, which is in lemons and limes. I also add stevia for sweetness or else you have one sour drink. Then I have this fruit fresh stuff. It is ascorbic acid, dextrose, and some anticaking agent. Excellent source of vitamin c. I have tried other vit c additives but they all tasted funny or made it a funny color and the kids wouldn't drink it even though it actually made it healthier.
 The pulp left after juicing. You really need to juice it well, to get all the juice out. You should be left with an empty rind.
 This is only from 1/2 a lemon. You get lots of juice from all the lemons and limes.
 So this is how you put it all together.

You pour all the juice in the jug. Then you add 12 or 14 tbsps of dextrose. On top of that you will add 1/2 tsp of salt and 2 tbsps of fruit fresh. The last is the stevia. I buy the really processed stevia. It is white and very strong. It has a little tiny scoop. Make sure you level the scoop. And add 5 scoops to the jug. Then stir it all up. It will look like the pic. Some sites I have read say to heat it up in a pot to make it a syrup, but I don't bother with that. I just add filtered water to it until it is full.
 Then I pour it in a glass :)

My kids will drink this constantly if i let them. But like with all things I must moderate them. It still has some fructose in it and if they drink too much they will get too much fructose and then it does the opposite of what I want it to do. Instead of supplementing their vitamin c and rehydrating them, it would cause malabsorption. Moderation with all things.

No comments:

Post a Comment