Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Prefolds made out of old tshirts and flannel receiving blankets.

When I found out I was expecting my 5th child, I was excited and scared. More work, less sleep, less date nights with the hubby. I had just gotten used to being able to have spare time again. I figured I should use some of that spare time getting ready for this last little baby.

I had cloth diapered my last 2 children and loved it. However, I had not used cloth for the newborn period. I always used sposies (what cloth diapering fanatics call disposables). I decided that I could  make my own. I am handy with a sewing machine. They couldn't be that hard to make. And I did have 3 dozen old t shirts just laying around waiting for a project. I bought a bunch of flannel receiving blankets from a second hand store and started googling my little heart out looking for instructions. I found lots of stuff. Half of it was good and half bad. I figured I had nothing to lose.



Here is an old t shirt. I decided I wanted a diaper that was 11in by 13in. so i measured my t shirt to see how much of it I would need.


I cut off the top. I was going to use the top for something but I can't remember what now. I am sure there is lots of stuff you can use it for.


Most of the t shirts had seams going down both sides. I trimmed off all the sides until I had a nice rectangle that fit my measurements. I wanted an 11 by 13 in diaper so I cut them just a tiny bit bigger. I figured that it would give some room in case the ends around the seams rolled up.


Old flannel receiving blankets are not nice and square. They change and become lopsided. I folded in half so that it was long on the fold.


I wanted them 4 inches wide and the 11 in long. But I cut them just a tiny bit bigger like the dipes.


First I trimmed off the end to make it straight. then I went along and cut every 4 inches. The last piece I trimmed off the end to make it straight. So they were cut in pairs.


Here is my stack of cut up shirts and blankets. Enough to do 36 diapers.


I decided to use 2 layers of t shirt and 4 layers of blanket.


I pinned the 2 layers of t shirt together. A lot of blogs I read said to put the layers of blanket in between the t shirt layers. But I wanted to see the flannel fabric. I thought most of the prints were real cute and would look good with the different colors of t shirts.


I really don't like this print so I wanted to hide it under another.


So I put this cute dog one over it and the pinned it in place.


Here is another combo I thought was cute.


I probably should have taken some pics while I was sewing them up. I hope you can see the seams in these next pics.


Here is a pic of my newborn (1 week old) son wearing the prefolds I made. Most of these diapers worked just fine with snappis. Some of them I had to use pins with. It all depended on the actual t shirt fabric.


Now, if you are going to put the flannel on the outside, I have a few words. First, You have to sew real close to the edge. Whatever is left on the other side will fray the first couple of times you wash it. We don't want loose strings wrapping around body parts and constricting them. I sewed these twice. once right next to the edge and then once a little further in. I mostly straight stitched but i like the zig zag on some of them too. I did not try to be perfect. I just tried to make it as close to the same as I could. These were the perfect absorbency for my little guy. He needed it too. He is a heavy wetter to this day and these did the trick. I made them with just the right rise that they fit under his healing little belly button nicely and inside his Bummis newborn wrap that had the belly button dip. 

1 comment:

  1. hey i really enjoy your blog. this is exciting information. I wanted to let you know about some killer traffic video courses i have. just swing by and take advantage of my save the family vacation firesale. right now.
    badger 4120

    ReplyDelete