Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Prefolds made out of old tshirts and flannel receiving blankets.

When I found out I was expecting my 5th child, I was excited and scared. More work, less sleep, less date nights with the hubby. I had just gotten used to being able to have spare time again. I figured I should use some of that spare time getting ready for this last little baby.

I had cloth diapered my last 2 children and loved it. However, I had not used cloth for the newborn period. I always used sposies (what cloth diapering fanatics call disposables). I decided that I could  make my own. I am handy with a sewing machine. They couldn't be that hard to make. And I did have 3 dozen old t shirts just laying around waiting for a project. I bought a bunch of flannel receiving blankets from a second hand store and started googling my little heart out looking for instructions. I found lots of stuff. Half of it was good and half bad. I figured I had nothing to lose.



Here is an old t shirt. I decided I wanted a diaper that was 11in by 13in. so i measured my t shirt to see how much of it I would need.


I cut off the top. I was going to use the top for something but I can't remember what now. I am sure there is lots of stuff you can use it for.


Most of the t shirts had seams going down both sides. I trimmed off all the sides until I had a nice rectangle that fit my measurements. I wanted an 11 by 13 in diaper so I cut them just a tiny bit bigger. I figured that it would give some room in case the ends around the seams rolled up.


Old flannel receiving blankets are not nice and square. They change and become lopsided. I folded in half so that it was long on the fold.


I wanted them 4 inches wide and the 11 in long. But I cut them just a tiny bit bigger like the dipes.


First I trimmed off the end to make it straight. then I went along and cut every 4 inches. The last piece I trimmed off the end to make it straight. So they were cut in pairs.


Here is my stack of cut up shirts and blankets. Enough to do 36 diapers.


I decided to use 2 layers of t shirt and 4 layers of blanket.


I pinned the 2 layers of t shirt together. A lot of blogs I read said to put the layers of blanket in between the t shirt layers. But I wanted to see the flannel fabric. I thought most of the prints were real cute and would look good with the different colors of t shirts.


I really don't like this print so I wanted to hide it under another.


So I put this cute dog one over it and the pinned it in place.


Here is another combo I thought was cute.


I probably should have taken some pics while I was sewing them up. I hope you can see the seams in these next pics.


Here is a pic of my newborn (1 week old) son wearing the prefolds I made. Most of these diapers worked just fine with snappis. Some of them I had to use pins with. It all depended on the actual t shirt fabric.


Now, if you are going to put the flannel on the outside, I have a few words. First, You have to sew real close to the edge. Whatever is left on the other side will fray the first couple of times you wash it. We don't want loose strings wrapping around body parts and constricting them. I sewed these twice. once right next to the edge and then once a little further in. I mostly straight stitched but i like the zig zag on some of them too. I did not try to be perfect. I just tried to make it as close to the same as I could. These were the perfect absorbency for my little guy. He needed it too. He is a heavy wetter to this day and these did the trick. I made them with just the right rise that they fit under his healing little belly button nicely and inside his Bummis newborn wrap that had the belly button dip. 

PUL on reusable breast pads


I had bought these cotton breast pads before the last pregnancy. My flow was so heavy last time that I leaked through them rather quickly. I was afraid that I would do the same thing this time. I figured that putting a pul backing on them would help fix that. So I went to Joann's fabric and bought some pul they were selling.  I didn't measure anything. I did exactly what you see. I was pretty sure I had 4 pairs but I could only find 3. I did later find the last pair so I actually have one more set to do. It is important to note that when working with pul fabric, you are supposed to iron it first and then let it cool, not to sew anywhere except the very outside edges, and put in a dryer for 20 min on med heat after wards to reseal the fabric around the holes made by sewing it. 



I put them on the fabric to see how much fabric i would need.


I cut squares around them.


I pinned them on the outside to hold them still while I cut off the extra.



I sewed a seam all around the outside edges. I washed and dried them a couple of times. They did not changes shape. I have used these many times and I love the fact that they do not leak straight out of the front anymore. when they are full in the middle they seep to the outside (like a diaper in a wrap). They would eventually leak if worn too long but they worked great for me.